Driving Under the Influence (DUI) is a crime seriously prosecuted in the State of Utah. A DUI can result in jail time, revocation of your driver’s license, and mandatory counseling. If you are facing a DUI, it is important to have an experienced and professional attorney who can help you understand your case and your defenses. Michael Langford can offer you his expertise and advocacy to protect your reputation, your rights, and your future.
Repeat DUI offenses are especially significant and carry much more onerous penalties.
The DUI defense process is serious.
- You will face a hearing before the Drivers License Division to determine the status of your driver’s license.
- An arraignment before the court.
- Pre-trial meetings with the State.
- The chance to plead or proceed to trial.
- And sentencing upon plea or conviction at trial.
The DUI sentencing implications range from:
- The impounding of your vehicle.
- The suspension of your driving privileges ranging from 120 days to 2 years.
- A conviction record entering as a class A misdemeanor, a class B misdemeanor, or even a felony.
- A court order for substance abuse treatment, mental health evaluation, or other mandatory counseling.
- A mandatory jail sentence, community service order, work release program, or home confinement for at least 48 hours.
- Fines starting at $700.
- Imposition of mandatory electronic monitoring of your personal alcohol consumption, an ignition-interlock device, or other and regular drug testing.
- Supervised probation.